The Benefice

St Peter is part of the Benefice of Cosby and Whetstone.

The Church at Cosby is St Michael and All Angels.

History

St Peter's Church is situated in the centre of Whetstone in Church Lane, Post Code LE8 6BA

The Domesday Book of 1086 records Whetstone as having 24 peasants, 11 villeins, one man at arms and a windmill.

The church was built in 1335. A stone built into east wall of the porch (originally the the north wall) is inscribed MCCCXXXV -- 1335 in Roman numerals. Some of the fabric dates back to about 1270 and suggests that the present building stands on the site of an earlier church. The main fabric of the building is ironstone.

There is reason to believe that the church was once dedicated to St Matthew. Certainly, in 1534 it was St Peter's, since one John Botfish, who died at that time, requested to be buried in "St.Pet'r Wehston."

The tower houses a ring of eight bells which are rung regularly by a local band. There is also a service bell.

The church has many other interesting features. These are detailed in the guide book available in the church.